Equal Access to Opportunity
Before we can talk about our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity, it’s important to have a clear definition of what these words mean to us:
- Diversity: The uniqueness of individuals within a group. A person isn’t diverse, a person is unique and they bring diversity to a group.
- Inclusion: Valuing each individual’s uniqueness by making them feel celebrated or appreciated.
- Equity: Ensuring everyone has the same access to the same opportunities by recognizing that we
don’t all begin at the same starting point and removing barriers to correct the imbalance.
Access Youth Academy believes that our commitment to social justice is about the actions we take every day. It’s about valuing the visible and invisible qualities that make individuals unique and working together to dismantle inequities.
Access Youth Academy is a racially diverse community of caring and motivated individuals striving to lift up our students and families by championing just and compassionate social protocols. We were founded on the principle of providing equal access to opportunity, and we remain true to our mission.
- We see diversity, inclusion, and equity as connected to our mission and critical to ensuring the well- being of our staff, students, and the communities we serve.
- We believe that each community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee should have a voice in solving community problems.
- We strive to nurture a community that reflects the shared value of our individual experiences.
- We commit to leading with respect and tolerance.
- We work to promote, encourage, and celebrate a community where all feel welcome and included.
Access Youth Academy strives to address systemic inequity by providing equal opportunity for marginalized youth, regardless of their heritage, sexual orientation, gender, or religion. We believe there is strength in numbers and practice community collaboration as we work to address racial injustice. By working hard and collaboratively addressing the difficult questions facing today’s society, we approach each day with an eagerness to ensure an equitable future.
Access Youth Academy is committed to championing a more equitable and just society for marginalized youth and their families.